The Certificate in writing provides an opportunity for our distance students to take advantage of the University of Iowa’s impressive culture of writing.
The ONLINE Certificate in Writing requires a student to successfully complete a minimum of 19 s.h. and maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in all course work.
Click the course link to view the distance education offering in MyUI/Courses. If MyUI displays "no course is found" then a distance education section is not offered in the semester you searched. Use the “Session” drop-down list to change the semester you are viewing.
*All hyperlinks on this page open in a separate tab.
Writing Certificate Changes Beginning Fall 2023 (side-by-side with previous requirements)
Required Introductory Core Course (3 s.h.):
- WRIT:1500 Writing Commons: A Community of Writers
Additional Core Courses (6 s.h.):
- WRIT:1003/LING 1003 English Grammar
- WRIT:1600 Fast Fixes: Improved Writing in 6 weeks *This is a 1 s.h. course. To count as a core course, must be taken three times for 1 s.h. each with different topics.
- WRIT:3742/CLSA:3742 Word Power: Building English Vocabulary
- WRIT:4745/CW:4745 The Sentence: Strategies for Writing
- WRIT:4760/CW:4760 The Art of Revision: Writing for Clarity
Focused Electives (9 s.h.) - must include courses from at least two of the categories below:
Writing for the Professions:
- BUS:3000 Business Communication and Protocol
- COMM:1816 Business and Professional Communication
- EALL:4130 Introduction to Grant Writing
- WRIT:3005 Professional and Creative Business Communication
Writing and the Literary Arts:
- CNW:1620 Introduction to Creative Nonfiction
- CW:2100 Creative Writing
- CW:2870 Fiction Writing
- CW:2875 Poetry Writing
- CW:3870 Advanced Fiction Writing
- CW:3875 Advanced Poetry Writing
- CW:4897 Novel Writing
- THTR:2301 Playwriting I
Writing and the Media
- CINE:1200 Screenwriting Fundamentals
Required Capstone (1 s.h.):
- WRIT:4001 Guided Capstone Portfolio
How to add the certificate to your program of study
Students may add a certificate program to their plan of study at any time. Declaring a certificate will allow you to request a degree audit for the certificate requirements in MyUI. There is no penalty to remove a certificate from a plan of study and one may be removed at any time.
Current BAS/BLS students can add a certificate program to their plan of study at any time by sending an email to their assigned academic advisor asking to formally declare the certificate. Once added, a separate degree audit will be produced.
How to remove the certificate from your program of study
Current BAS/BLS students can email their assigned academic advisor to ask to remove the certificate from their plan of study. There is no penalty to remove a certificate program from a plan of study and one may be removed at any time.