The Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership & Philanthropy meets the needs of students who have a desire to prepare for a career in a nonprofit role and/or who may impact the nonprofit sector through volunteering on a board, committee, or project.
To earn the ONLINE Certificate in Nonprofit Leadership and Philanthropy, students must successfully complete 21 semester hours (s.h.) and maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in all course work.
Click the course link to view the distance education offering in MyUI/Courses. If MyUI displays "no course is found" then a distance education section is not offered in the semester you searched. Use the “Session” drop-down list to change the semester you are viewing.
*All hyperlinks on this page open in a separate tab.
Foundation Courses (9 semester hours):
- JMC:3710 Funding Fundamentals
- MGMT:3500 Nonprofit Organizational Effectiveness I
- MGMT:4600 Nonprofit Ethics and Governance
At least 3 semester hours*:
- JMC:3720 Nonprofit Communication ( Prerequisite JMC:3710)
- MGMT:3600 Nonprofit Organizational Effectiveness II (Prerequisite MGMT:3500)
*Can take both, in which case one will count as an elective
Students must complete at least 9 s.h. from the Foundation Courses list above before taking a field experience course.
- JMC:3700 Field Experience: Nonprofit Leadership and Philanthropy
- MGMT:3700 Field Experience: Nonprofit Leadership and Philanthropy
Students select elective coursework to total at least 21 s.h. for the certificate.
- COMM:1819 Organizational Leadership
- CW:4745/WRIT:4745 The Sentence: Strategies for Writing
- EALL:4130 Introduction to Grant Writing
- ENTR:2000 Entrepreneurship and Innovation (ENTR:1350 must be taken as co-requisite or prerequisite)
- ENTR:3350 Entrepreneurial Strategy
- ENTR:3500 Social Entrepreneurship
- EVNT:3154 Foundations of Event Management
- EVNT:3260 Event Management Workshop
- GHS:4002 Working in Global Health
- JMC:3530 Social Media Marketing
- JMC:3720 Nonprofit Communications
- MGMT:3600/NURS:3600/RELS:3701/SSW:3600 Nonprofit Organizational Effectiveness II
- MUSM:3001/ANTH:3001/EDTL:3001/SIED:3001 Introduction to Museum Studies
How to add the certificate to your program of study
Students may add a certificate program to their plan of study at any time. Declaring a certificate will allow you to request a degree audit for the certificate requirements in MyUI. There is no penalty to remove a certificate from a plan of study and one may be removed at any time.
Current BAS/BLS students can add a certificate program to their plan of study at any time by sending an email to their assigned academic advisor asking to formally declare the certificate. Once added, a separate degree audit will be produced.
How to remove the certificate from your program of study
Current BAS/BLS students can email their assigned academic advisor to ask to remove the certificate from their plan of study. There is no penalty to remove a certificate program from a plan of study and one may be removed at any time.