The Certificate in Aging and Longevity courses are courses are principally focused on older persons and/or the aging process. Aging-related cross-listed courses have at least 50% of the content related to aging, longevity, and/or older adulthood.
The ONLINE Certificate in Aging & Longevity Studies requires a student to successfully complete 18 s.h. and maintain a minimum 2.0 GPA in all course work.
Click the course link to view the distance education offering in MyUI/Courses. If MyUI displays "no course is found" then a distance education section is not being offered in the semester you searched. Use the “Session” drop-down list to change the semester you are viewing.
*All hyperlinks on this page open in a separate tab.
Required Core Courses:
- ASP:1800 Aging Matters: Intro to Social Gerontology (3 s.h.)
- ASP:3135 Global Aging (or: ASP:2181 Anthropology of Aging) (3 s.h.)
- ASP:3150 Psychology of Aging (3 s.h.)
- ASP:3160 Biology of Aging (3 s.h.)
- ASP:4190 Aging Studies Internship and Seminar (3 s.h.)
Elective (3 semester hours):
- Students must complete an additional 3 s.h. of electives selected from aging and longevity studies courses (prefix ASP) and/or from approved aging-related courses offered by other academic units.
How to add the certificate to your program of study
Students may add a certificate program to their plan of study at any time. Declaring a certificate will allow you to request a degree audit for the certificate requirements in MyUI. There is no penalty to remove a certificate from a plan of study and one may be removed at any time.
Current BAS/BLS students can add a certificate program to their plan of study at any time by sending an email to their assigned academic advisor asking to formally declare the certificate. Once added, a separate degree audit will be produced.
How to remove the certificate from your program of study
Current BAS/BLS students can email their assigned academic advisor to ask to remove the certificate from their plan of study. There is no penalty to remove a certificate program from a plan of study and one may be removed at any time.